The Newcastle Police Department Ride Along Program is designed to help educate the community about what the police department does daily, and to help residents become familiar with the officers and the department. The program is intended to develop partnerships with the community through interaction. The Ride-Along Program is designed to foster a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of being a police officer in the Newcastle community.
If you are interested in applying for a ride along, please download and print the application and return the form or mail to:
Newcastle Police Department
Ride Along Request
860 N. Carr Drive
Newcastle, OK 73065
To be considered for the Ride Along Program, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- The Chief of Police, or his designee, may make an exception to age requirement if the parent or legal guardian of a minor submits a request in writing.
The following persons are eligible to participate in the Ride-Along Program with a completed Ride-Along application form:
- City of Newcastle residents eighteen(18) years of age or older.
- Visiting law enforcement personnel.
- City of Newcastle employees or an adult relative of an active City of Newcastle employee.
- Professionals and students in the field of Criminal Justice and the Social Services.
- Members of the news media and local government officials.
- Adult participants of the Newcastle Police Civilian Academy.
- Members of the local Fire or EMS Departments.
- Complete and submit a ride along application at least 48 hours in advance
- Be willing to submit to a records check through the National Criminal Justice Information Center (NCIC)
- Be willing to comply with the program rules and guidelines (outlined below)
- Must not have participated in a City of Newcastle Ride Along for the past six months
Program Rules and Guidelines
- Arrange for transportation to and from the Police Station.
- In order to comply with department policies and procedures, you must utilize the safety belts and safety equipment in the police vehicle.
- You are encouraged to ask questions about police work.
- You will not be able to photograph, videotape or tape-record any portion of the ride along.
- Certain police calls are considered inherently dangerous and your police partner may respond to the call after dropping you off at a safe place. Follow the procedure outlined by your police partner and wait for a police vehicle to pick you up.
- You will not enter any person's home while participating in the ride along unless the host officer has asked and has been granted expressed permission from the homeowner/occupant to allow the ride along participant entry.
- You will not accompany an officer during a vehicular pursuit.
- Do not interfere in any way with the officers handling of a situation. You may ask questions concerning a specific assignment after it has been completed and you have left the scene.
- You may observe an event on your ride along that may require your appearance in court as a witness.
- A waiver of liability form is to be executed by you, or in case of a minor, by a parent or a guardian, prior to the ride along. In essence, it releases the City of Newcastle Police Department and the City of Newcastle from any liability.
- Wear neat, clean, appropriate clothing. Shorts, sweat suits or jogging suits, tank tops, halter-tops or clothing that is torn, soiled or displays offensive language or symbols will not be allowed.
- Wear the issued identification badge during the ride along.