Over the years, the City of Newcastle has worked to develop its ability to provide better parks and recreation. As the city has grown, the city staff and Parks Board have collaborated on improvements to park offerings and recognized a need for better future planning and the need for professional guideance in this.
Recently, the City Council approved hiring Howard-Fairbairn Site Design (HFSD Landscape Architecture) to develop a master park plan for Veterans Park.
Park Survey/Community Feedback
As a part of this plan development, a community recreational needs survey has been established. This survey gives the community a chance to express things they would like to see at Veterans park and throughout the community.
City staff will host public meetings and workshops to gather the community input. Howard-Fairbairn Site Design will then use the information they have collected from city staff, the parks board, community surveys and public meetings to establish a master park plan for Veterans Park.
Park Master Plan
Based on community feedback and staff guidance, Howard-Fairbairn Site Design will create a master park plan for Veterans Park.
The delivered plan will include an executive summary document which will include:
- Analysis of the Existing Park Conditions
- A Master Plan 'Concept' for Veterans Park containing
- a plan view
- character sketches
- 3D aerial rendering
- character images
- Plan Implementation Phases
- Probable Costs for Construction/Implementation
Municipal and Neighborhood Parks
Other parks within Newcastle can also provide recreational and cultural services to residents and visitors and enhance the quality of life in Newcastle. Planning for parks extends to enhancing and developing city and neighborhood parks. This begins by identifying needs, such as:
- Maintaining and improving physical assets of existing parks.
- Developing facilities and programs in parks to meet community needs.
- Improving access to existing parks.
- Promoting and increasing awareness of the value of parks.
- Developing new parks and facilities.
- Establishing agreements and standards for private parks and school parks.